You’ve decided that an eSIM is the perfect travel companion (excellent decision!). But, the question that follows is, how to pick the right eSIM plan for your journey? This decision will hinge on several considerations, including your destination, length of stay, and your data consumption needs during the journey.
Fear not, we’re here to simplify this process for you! Keep reading to discover the optimal eSIM plan for your travel needs.
Let’s start with the basics: What exactly is an eSIM? It’s an Embedded SIM, essentially a minuscule memory chip integrated into your device at the manufacturing stage. Like a conventional SIM card, an eSIM identifies you as a mobile subscriber and establishes your connection to a network, but in a completely digital format.
An eSIM enables you to download a data plan directly onto your device and connect to a mobile network, all through your smartphone. It eliminates the need to find a SIM card seller, switch SIM cards, or manage multiple SIMs during your travels. Instead, you can download a digital plan and establish a connection within minutes, no matter where your adventures take you.
Where to Procure an eSIM Plan
You have the option to acquire an eSIM plan from your mobile service provider or from a company like Globalesim. The Globalesim store offers eSIMs for over 200 countries and regions globally, making it effortless to stay connected during your travels.
Here’s why choosing a Globalesim eSIM could be beneficial for you:
• Absence of roaming charges. Globalesim eSIM plans are prepaid, meaning you pay only for the data you purchase initially or add later.
• No carrier restrictions. You have the freedom to select the eSIM plan that fits your needs best and switch plans conveniently as you travel.
• Local connectivity. We collaborate with local providers to ensure you receive the best prices and service during your journey.
• 24/7 support. Our support team is available round the clock to assist you, irrespective of your timezone.
Checking If Your Phone Supports eSIM
Before procuring an eSIM plan, it’s crucial to check if your phone is eSIM-compatible. Your phone should be carrier-unlocked and compatible with eSIM technology to utilize an eSIM.
If you purchased your phone without a contract from a mobile provider, it is likely unlocked (though we advise contacting your carrier for confirmation). Most phones manufactured since 2018 are eSIM-compatible, although this can vary based on your location and provider. You can refer to our list of eSIM-compatible devices to confirm if your phone supports eSIM technology.
Choosing the Optimal eSIM Plan for Your Travel
You’re ready to stay connected during your next adventure. But how to select the optimal eSIM plan for your journey? These questions may help inform your decision.
1. Your Destination
Where is your next stop? Whether you’re visiting a single country or multiple, it can impact the ideal eSIM plan for your journey. Globalesim provides access to over 200 local, regional, and global eSIM plans. They differentiate as follows:
• Local eSIMs let you connect in one particular country. If you’re planning a two-week trip to Mexico, a Mexico eSIM is your best bet.
• Regional eSIMs allow connectivity across several countries within a region. Suppose you’re planning a Europe tour. A regional Europe eSIM will enable connectivity across UK, Poland, France, and more.
• Global eSIMs offer connectivity across several countries worldwide. If you’re embarking on a global journey, a global eSIM is your go-to option.
2. Length of Your Stay Abroad
Having decided the type of eSIM that suits your travel plans, you must consider your travel duration. Each Globalesim eSIM plan outlines a validity period, detailing the length of eSIM usage (e.g., 7 days, 15 days, 30 days). Plans range from seven days up to 180 (six months).
A weekend escape may need a shorter plan, while a business trip might require a couple of weeks’ coverage. For a global voyage, you might need an eSIM data plan that keeps you connected for a month or more.
3. Your Data Consumption Needs
Lastly, you must evaluate your data requirements for your journey. Globalesim eSIMs offer a fixed amount of data (e.g., 0.5 GB, 1GB, 3GB, 5GB, 7GB and 10GB) and many provide an option to add more data when you’re running low. The ideal eSIM plan for your journey should meet your data needs, whether that’s 1GB, 10GB, or 20GB.
The data you require will depend on how you use your smartphone during your travels. As per Samsung, 1GB of data allows you to check emails, scroll social media, and browse the internet for 20-30 minutes a day in a month.
Here’s an overview of the data various activities consume to help you gauge your requirements for your journey:
• Google Maps: 5MB per hour
• Social Media: 50MB per hour
• Internet Browsing: 50MB per hour
• Online Gaming: 70+MB per hour
• Streaming Music: 100MB per hour
• SD Video: 1GB per hour
• HD Video: 4GB per hour
• 4K Video: 7GB per hour
How to Set Up and Activate an eSIM
Once you’ve purchased the perfect eSIM plan for your journey, you can set it up and activate it. Here are the steps to guide you:
Step 1: Setting Up Your eSIM
You can set up a Globalesim eSIM directly, manually, or via QR code. Before setting up your eSIM, ensure a stable Wi-Fi connection to avoid disruptions during installation. Here are the steps to initiate installation:
• QR Code: Scan a QR code that you received from to initiate the installation process.
• Manual: Enter the eSIM information manually in your device’s settings.
During installation, you’ll be prompted to label your eSIM line (typically your device’s “secondary” line). We suggest choosing a label that helps you identify the eSIM easily (e.g., Mexico eSIM or Europe eSIM), especially if you store multiple eSIMs on your device.
Step 2: Activating Your eSIM
When your eSIM gets activated depends on its activation policy, which you can find in the eSIM’s “Additional Information” section.
The activation policy informs you when the eSIM’s validity period starts. Some eSIMs activate immediately upon installation, while others activate when you connect to a supported network at your destination.
If your eSIM activates instantly, it’s advisable to install it just before you travel. If it activates upon network connection, you can install it right away.
Step 3: Connecting to a Supported Network
Upon arriving at your destination, you can enable your eSIM line to connect to a local network. Here’s how to enable your eSIM on iOS and
• Go to Settings.
• Tap Cellular or Mobile.
• Tap your eSIM line.
• Toggle on Turn On This Line.
• Toggle on Data Roaming.
• Tap Network Selection and select a supported network (find a list of networks in the eSIM’s Additional Information section).
• Go to Settings.
• Tap Network & Internet.
• Tap Mobile Network.
• Enable your eSIM.
• Enable Mobile Data.
• Enable Data Roaming.
• Select a supported network (find a list of networks in the eSIM’s Additional Information section).
With these steps, you’re ready to enjoy your journey with an eSIM! Visit the Globalesim store to discover the best eSIM for your travels.
Keen on exploring eSIMs and revolutionizing how you stay connected?
Download the Globalesim app to buy, manage, and top-up your eSIMs anytime, anywhere!